Part 2: Are Essential Oils Safe for Kids?
Aromatherapy can be a great natural way to address the common issues that face us all, like difficulty sleeping or trying to stay healthy during the winter months. Because they’re such an important wellness tool we get a lot of questions from parents wanting to use essential oils around their kids and how to do so safely. Throughout our over 25 years of experience, we’ve gained a lot of knowledge about how to safely use essential oils and we want to share our tips and tricks with you!
This is part two of our series on how to safely use essential oils with your children. If you missed it, go back and check outpart one to review our safety recommendations for kids and learn about how aromatherapy can help ease nervousness and increase focus. This article highlights which essential oils are safe and how to use them to help your children get better sleep and boost their immune systems.
Essential Oils to Help Your Child Sleep Better
One of the most important things you can do for your child that will improve all aspects of their behavior and ability to regulate their emotions is to ensure they are getting enough sleep. The proper amount of sleep, really restful sleep, is crucial in helping your child with any issue they might be facing. There are a lot of ways essential oils can help improve sleep quality, from clearing the mind to relaxing and soothing - and even mood-boosting! Here are some of our favorites that are safe and effective for helping your child sleep better.
- Marjoram: Our top pick for sleep, Marjoram essential oil is both physically and mentally soothing and helps produce a deep, peaceful sleep to help your child really recharge.
- Mandarin: This sweet citrus is peaceful, relaxing, and helps promote restful sleep by easing irritability and nervous tension while gently uplifting.
- Sandalwood: Emotionally balancing, Sandalwood essential oil has a calming and grounding effect on the mind and a soothing effect on the nerves.
- Lavender: Our go-to for all things relaxation, Lavender essential oil is calming and soothing and one of the gentlest essential oils to help ease your child into a deep slumber.
- Roman Chamomile: Its sweet floral scent helps stave off anxiety and has a calming and relaxing effect on the mind.
Tip: Mix a combination of these sleep-inducing essential oils with ½ cup epsom salts and a tablespoon of carrier oil and add to your child’s bath before bedtime. Or make a pillow spray by mixing 10-20 drops of essential oil with a splash of witch hazel and top off with water in a mist bottle - spray linens and pillows before bed to promote restful, rejuvenating sleep.
Essential Oils to Boost Your Child’s Immune System
With the kids back in school, we know what’s coming next - the inevitable illnesses that always seem to come back to back. If you’re anything like us, you’re desperately searching for any way to help keep your child and family healthy this time of year. Essential oils can help with a number of concerns, from boosting your child’s immune system to easing minor cold symptoms. The following essential oils are what we reach for to help keep our children healthy.
- Eucalyptus Radiata: This variety of Eucalyptus essential oil is an expectorant and anti-inflammatory, which may ease coughing and congestion. It is also known to stimulate the immune system, helping keep your child healthy.
- Lemon: Citrusy and refreshing, Lemon essential oil is immune-boosting and can help your child fight off infections and reduce fevers.
- Cedarwood: An expectorant, Cedarwood essential oil can help ease congestion and its sedative properties may ease coughing while relieving tension and stress.
- German Chamomile: Bright blue in color, German Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and can help relieve pain and irritation in the respiratory tract.
- Cypress: This woodsy essential oil has antispasmodic properties which make it helpful in soothing coughs.
Tip: Diffuse any of these essential oils to strengthen your child’s immune system and relieve symptoms of the common cold. You can also create your own chest rub usingthis recipe as a template and substituting any of these child-safe essential oils.
Yes, Essential Oils are Safe for Kids
The bottom line is that essential oils can be safely used with children, but there are a few important caveats. There are some essential oils that are safe for adults, but should not be used around young children - like Eucalyptus globulus and Peppermint. And care must always be taken to follow the proper dilution rate and diffusion recommendations. But if you follow the appropriate guidelines, aromatherapy can greatly benefit your children's health and wellness.
We’d love to hear from you - leave a comment below with your questions or your favorite ways to use essential oils for kids!